Forum

Gotham Girls Roller Derby

Non-leage skating workout?

All the derby talk you can handle... that you can't fit in to any other board category.

Non-leage skating workout?

Postby demandapanda » 02.16.11 11:53AM

Hey, hey! I'm a former derby girl, via Providence. I broke a bone or two and put myself out for the 2007 season, 'doh. That's the last time I did derby because since then I haven't had health insurance and having been somewhat seriously injured I know how important it is to have actual health insurance with derby. But anyway, I really miss skating, miss derby, miss the challenge and I know I heard of someone who was going to start a group exercise class in the city that was all the workout but less injuries, similar to Derby Lite in Chicago, which appeals to me due to my lack of health insurance at the moment....and lack of stable, predictable income, and what income I do have relies on my hands working (after my injury, my right hand didn't work for about 4 months, which was o.k. then, but now would put me in an even poorer poor house, or on the streets). Does anyone know about this? If it actually did or is going to form? Until I have either a full time job or my freelance business is super successful, whichever comes first, either a Derby Lite type thing or just me going to the skating rink all by lonesome are probably my only options.

On a side note: If anyone is looking for used skates, I'll be putting my skates up for sale later on. They're really good skates (they were almost $400 new), I just have flat feet so the arch support has always been an issue. I put up with it, and dealt with discomfort of forcing a flat foot into an arch support for a few years, but it's time to get them a new home so I can buy a different pair that fits my stupid arch-less feet. I'll post a thread for them later on when I get a chance to take pictures.
demandapanda

Re: Non-leage skating workout?

Postby Luna Impact » 02.16.11 12:28PM

Hi there,

You should definitely check out our Basic Training program:

http://www.gothamgirlsrollerderby.com/t ... c-training

We're getting ready to get this year's classes started (they haven't started yet), so if you join the yahoo group described on that page, you'll have all of the info as soon as it becomes available.

See you on the track!
Luna Impact
making craters in skaters
Luna Impact
Bronx Gridlock

Re: Non-leage skating workout?

Postby demandapanda » 02.16.11 4:41PM

Are those just the same basic skills every time though? I was hoping someone finally started up the derby lite thing here for more of an intense workout and I skated for a number of years with derby so I'm beyond the basics.
demandapanda

Return to General Chat