Forum

Gotham Girls Roller Derby

Block of the Night Award (June 1)

All the derby talk you can handle... that you can't fit in to any other board category.

Block of the Night Award (June 1)

Postby hambone » 06.02.05 12:05AM

We're back with the Block of the Night Awards -- bouting practice is back, baby!

Tonight's blocks that especially caught the refs eye:

The Most Gratuitous Block of the Night goes to Suzy Hotrod of the Queens of Pain.

To set the scene: it was the last jam of a hot, grueling practice, and butts were dragging all over the place. The Mayhem's Bone Crawford was bringing up the rear of the pack, endeavoring to stay with the long two minute jam to the bitter end.

As she was had fallen more than 20 feet from the back, she was ineligible to block the jamming Hotrod. This referee called out, "Bone, you can't block her, you're 20 feet back." Ms. Crawford nodded in understanding, resigned to her fate.

Just then, Suzy came flying past, and hit a surprised Bone with a totally unnecessary (and totally legal) block which sent the leggy Mayhem skater sprawling. Very mean -- but very cool.

The UHIA Block of the Night goes to Ariel Assault.

While this was not technically a block, but an 'assist' to her own jammer, it was definitely worth a writeup.

The Mayhem's Ginger Snap was jamming in front of her teammate Ariel, of the Bombshells. (Sometimes scrimmages make strange bedfellows.) Ginger bent over and balled up to receive a push from Ariel, who dutifully blasted Ginger Snap forward --- planting Snapper's helmet directly into the buttocks of the opposing Queens Blocker Carmen Monoxide. Hello!

If you don't know what UHIA stands for, look it up as a variant of UFIA.

The Most Powerful Block of the Night goes to Queens' Donna Matrix, who gave a shove to the jamming Ariel Assault - jolting her directly into Ariel's Brooklyn teammate Penny Larceny. Both went sprawling, and Donna's Queens of Pain picked up a 3-0 shutout. The jam had to be halted early to tend to the broken victims.

...and...

The Most Effective, i.e. Best Block of the Night Award goes to Brooklyn's Lady Batterly, who ran a seek-and-destroy mission against Queens' Donna Matrix in her only jam, forcing Donna completely out of bounds two or three times. While Batterly didn't plant Matrix on her butt, she did keep her tied up and off the track while Batterly's teammate Penny Larceny jammed to victory.
Last edited by hambone on 06.02.05 8:22AM, edited 1 time in total.
hambone
Referee

Postby Joey XXX » 06.02.05 7:31AM

Who's this Susie Hotrod I keep hearing about?

Oh wait, do you mean Suzy Hotrod?
Queens of Pain: We beat the competition.

Two Time Season Champions!
Joey XXX
Queens of Pain

huh?

Postby hambone » 06.02.05 8:24AM

Huh? You must be hallucinating, the posting clearly says Suzy Hotrod.

Either that or it's way too early in the morning for clear thought.

Or, it's entirely possible that I just corrected my posting :-)
But that wouldn't be fair dinkum.
hambone
Referee

Re: Block of the Night Award (June 1)

Postby Penny Larceny » 06.02.05 11:42AM

hambone wrote:The Most Powerful Block of the Night goes to Queens' Donna Matrix, who gave a shove to the jamming Ariel Assault - jolting her directly into Ariel's Brooklyn teammate Penny Larceny. Both went sprawling, and Donna's Queens of Pain picked up a 3-0 shutout. The jam had to be halted early to tend to the broken victims.

I know it's entirely possible I've sustained some short-term memory loss from crashing into things, but I think this actually refers to two seperate jams. There was the one where I ran into Ariel and took her down (sorry Ariel!), but that one wasn't halted early - Ariel got up immediately and kept going, like the indefeatable Bombshell she is.

I thought the only jam that got called early for pain/injury was towards the end, when I tried to block Rolletta (who was jamming) and ended up throwing myself into the air and onto my ass. I called that one since it hurt like a bitch for a few minutes. And into today.

Not to say the refs aren't always 100% correct of course.
Penny Larceny

Postby hambone » 06.02.05 11:53AM

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
hambone
Referee

Postby Penny Larceny » 06.02.05 11:55AM

hambone wrote:Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

so that's the way the refs roll.
i'll keep this in mind come july...
Penny Larceny

Postby Joey XXX » 06.02.05 2:12PM

hambone wrote:Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I'm holding you to that the next time I tell the story about the time when I skated so fast everyone else ended up with nosebleeds.
Queens of Pain: We beat the competition.

Two Time Season Champions!
Joey XXX
Queens of Pain

Return to General Chat