Forum

Gotham Girls Roller Derby

for fans of Toughie Brasuhn and the Andrews Sisters

All the derby talk you can handle... that you can't fit in to any other board category.

for fans of Toughie Brasuhn and the Andrews Sisters

Postby Ana Bollocks » 02.11.09 9:42AM

... which is not to say that this song is actually *done* by the Andrews Sisters - it's an unknown artist who sounds a lot like them.

Still, pretty adorable:

http://www.freewebs.com/irrl/at%20the%2 ... 0derby.mp3
"Awww... I put the ear in the testicle bucket."
Ana Bollocks
Queens of Pain

Postby gretaturbo » 02.11.09 2:03PM

I'm a fan of both -- as is Pops -- but the link no work for me.
Greta Turbo #32
*Queens of Pain*
If I can't see you, you can't see me.
gretaturbo
Queens of Pain

Postby Lolita Ford » 02.11.09 4:32PM

The link didn't work for me either :(
Lolita Ford

Postby Dainty Inferno » 02.11.09 4:43PM

Copy and paste the link into your browser, don't click. It'll work then!
Raise a little hell.
Dainty Inferno
Bronx Gridlock

Postby Lolita Ford » 02.11.09 5:37PM

Dainty Inferno wrote:Copy and paste the link into your browser, don't click. It'll work then!

Yep! That worked. Thanks.
Lolita Ford

Postby Grand_Poobah » 03.16.09 8:09PM

I seem to recall that after I found the tune, I did a bit of research online. I believe the artist was "Little Beau and the Peeps."

The songwriter was someone fairly well-known. Apparently slumming in the novelty song market to make a buck or two.

One thing that's mildly interesting is that ONE skater is named in the song. Not the hero Gerry Murray, but Toughie Brasuhn. Which kinda tells you that even in the early 50s the "red shirts" (bad guys) probably sold the tickets.
Grand Poobah
Roc City Roller Derby
Grand_Poobah

re: toughie brasuhn

Postby GreenBaySmackers » 03.20.09 8:15PM

i saw the name in ana bollocks' post and i suddenly remembered having heard that name before , but i can't exactly remember anything about her, who WAS she?....was she one of the all time greats?.....grand poobah in his reply mentioned gerry murray, ahd HER i DEFINITELY remember...she and her husband, gene gammon, were both roller derbers in thier era, and were the parents of legendary mike gammon, who was married to judy mcguire, who subsequently had an affair with charlie oconnell, and then they were divorced....i'm longing to know, are mike and judy still alive, and where are they now?.....i'm curious about all the old timers who might still be living, and i would love to know what the're doing today.....anybody know?
GreenBaySmackers

Postby hambone » 03.21.09 2:25AM

Frankly, Gary Powers of the Roller Derby Hall of Fame keeps much better tabs on retired skaters of 'classic' roller derby than we do.

A good place to start:

http://rollerderbyhalloffame.com/index.html
hambone
Referee

Postby K.D. Caustic » 03.22.09 5:42PM

hambone wrote:Frankly, Gary Powers of the Roller Derby Hall of Fame keeps much better tabs on retired skaters of 'classic' roller derby than we do.
Abso-tively! I went to an event this past winter where I got to meet loads of "old-timers." Gary was one of the organizers and he is soooo helpful and generous.

That event was focused mostly on those who skated with the Philadelphia Warriors. Folks there included Judy Arnold and Arnold "Skip" Schoen (who coach OSDA teams), Judy Sowkinski, "Little" Richard Brown, Lynn Congleton, Buddy Atkinson, Jr., Jim Trotter, Dru Scott and Jeff Hart, among others. They had a special guest there named Hazel Roop who skated in the ORIGINAL version of roller derby -- Transcontinental Roller Derby -- and, although she's 93, she's STILL feisty. Her granddaughter skates with OSDA, too.

As for Mike Gammon, Buddy Atkinson, Jr. was talking up a storm about performing certain bits with Mike and others. So, G.B.S., you should write Gary and find out when and where his next event is because you would have as much fun as I did! Or more!!!
Doiby Fanatic and Announcer
K.D. Caustic

Postby Bobby Narco » 03.23.09 9:04AM

I met Mr. Powers in October 2007 when I sang the National Anthem at the International Roller Derby Hall of Fame Bout in Philadelphia (see my post from 10/19/2007 in General Chat).

At the time, he was rather lukewarm about WFTDA, and alluded to some perceived slight by Gotham in particular. I tried to convince him that y'all were the real deal, and to give you another chance, but I don't know if he ever did. That aside, he was a pretty nice guy, and very knowledgable about roller derby.

In Blood & Thunder, Issue 4 (Summer 2007), pp. 64-67, there is a good write-up about him and the Roller Derby Hall of Fame he runs in Brooklyn.
Love derby, will travel
Bobby Narco

Re: re: toughie brasuhn

Postby robt10000 » 05.27.09 9:45PM

GreenBaySmackers wrote:i saw the name in ana bollocks' post and i suddenly remembered having heard that name before , but i can't exactly remember anything about her, who WAS she?....was she one of the all time greats?.....grand poobah in his reply mentioned gerry murray, ahd HER i DEFINITELY remember...she and her husband, gene gammon, were both roller derbers in thier era, and were the parents of legendary mike gammon, who was married to judy mcguire, who subsequently had an affair with charlie oconnell, and then they were divorced....i'm longing to know, are mike and judy still alive, and where are they now?.....i'm curious about all the old timers who might still be living, and i would love to know what the're doing today.....anybody know?

.... Did some research. Judi McGuire married Charlie O'Connell on 7/31/81 in Alameda, CA. Today they live in Oakdale, CA (about 100 miles East of San Francisco, near the California Gold Country. Charlie is 74 & Judy is 69.
Bay Bombers Fan!
robt10000

the andrew sisters

Postby lbenfanti » 05.28.09 7:44AM

Funny you mention the adrew sisters... i was just thinking that we should all sing this one the next time we are at the bar....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKVfmKsXDqI
lbenfanti

Return to General Chat