Forum

Gotham Girls Roller Derby

Pre-Jam Formation - Inside/Outside

Not sure how the game works? Here's the place to ask.

Pre-Jam Formation - Inside/Outside

Postby Wreck Deckard » 01.31.07 7:21PM

I have always wondered about the inside/outside rules as far as pre-jam formation. In track and field, the pre-heat formation is usually at a diagonal to the track itself, to eliminate any handicaps that might occur by one runner being on the outside. Does WFTDA or GGRD make any concessions for that?
dredged from the frozen wastes after a 160 million year sleep.
Wreck Deckard
Queens of Pain

Postby hambone » 01.31.07 9:43PM

Nope. No rules govern inside/outside positioning prior to the start of a jam. it's literally first come, first serve. And everyone starts on the same line.

Skaters are supposed to 'intersperse' themselves, team-wise, in the pack starting formation, and they usually do.

Any perceived advantage to starting inside or outside never usually plays out after the starting whistle, anyway. Some jammers even prefer to be the second to hit the pack, rather than the first.
hambone
Referee

Postby AnnieMaim » 02.01.07 10:25AM

We've been lining up differently -- not sure if it was something that was in WFTDA 2.0 that we started doing before it got rejected, or if someone's taking a visual from somewhere literally or what, but we now line up 2, 4, and 2. That is - pivots (only!) on the line, second row staggered X, O, X, O, then behind them, the remaining two blockers.

I don't feel having the inside to start is a big advantage (not that I'm a jammer or anything, though). I prefer the outside so I can pick up speed taking the first turn wide before swerving in.
Pivots are people too.
AnnieMaim

Postby hambone » 02.01.07 3:55PM

I wouldn't call that "differently" -- almost everyone (including Gotham) seems to be doing it that way.
hambone
Referee

Postby AnnieMaim » 02.01.07 5:48PM

Okay. Differently than WE used to do it.

It used to be a free for all.
Pivots are people too.
AnnieMaim

Re: Pre-Jam Formation - Inside/Outside

Postby corndawg » 02.01.07 5:55PM

digitelle wrote:I have always wondered about the inside/outside rules as far as pre-jam formation.

so far the best thoughts on the jammer formation was relayed to me from Suzy Hotrod. She has some interesting feelings on the subject.
"For a good example of how to drunkenly announce see Corndog, the man never has an empty hand but is always dead on, kinda like Dean Martin."
Tank of ORG
corndawg
Announcer

Postby Wreck Deckard » 02.01.07 6:24PM

Maybe Hotrod will add her 2 cents.

On a similar note, I was reading the literature on the current WFTDA website, the track design and set-up states that the outside line of the straightaway shall be at an angle to the inside line narrowing 2 feet on each side. I can see that this widens the 2nd and 4th turn, but I am not clear on the physics as to why this is done.

As was stated before by another poster 'I am that sort of nerd.'
dredged from the frozen wastes after a 160 million year sleep.
Wreck Deckard
Queens of Pain

Postby hambone » 02.02.07 1:54AM

The 'coming out of the turn' width is 15 feet wide.
The 'going in to the turn' width is 13 feet wide.

This was a convention inherited from Texas when they first turned banked derby into flat derby.

It works, really, it does. It's hard to explain why it makes sense until you skate it about a jillion times.
hambone
Referee

Return to Rules Talk