Forum

Gotham Girls Roller Derby

WFTDA Rules Version 2.0 Is Here and already I have Questions

Not sure how the game works? Here's the place to ask.

WFTDA Rules Version 2.0 Is Here and already I have Questions

Postby KING OF PAIN » 04.27.07 1:43PM

http://www.wftda.com/files/WFTDA_Rules_2-1.pdf
One quick question re: Rule 6.5.5....
If both jammers are in the penalty box at the start of a jam or are pulled mid-jam, the jam will stop immediately. Both jammers will turn over their helmet covers to alternate teammates on the track who will act as jammers. The penalized jammers in the box will re-enter play as blockers once their penalties have been served.
6.5.5.1 Players on the track may rotate position, but no player substitutions are allowed.
6.5.5.2 Any skater who was in the jam that was stopped may take on the role of jammer. If the pivot takes on the role, she should give the pivot helmet cover to another teammate on the track.

Situation is this: jam begins with one team having their jammer penalized for one minute-- in other words, only one jammer at the start of the jam. If the jammer gets penalized BEFORE the other jammer has served her time, does this automatically end the jam per the rule above? If so, can anyone recall it happening? Or is this new to the rules?

Answer (sort of): Per Justice Feelgood Marshall (via http://www.havederbywilltravel.com/commentary--analysis/wftda/wftda-2.1-rules-quick-reference.html):
6.5.5 -- change from 1.0.-- When both jammers are in the penalty box, the jam ends, a new jam begins with the same lineups, but the jammers trade their panties with a teammate already on the floor before going to the penalty box. When their penalties end, they rejoin the jam as blockers. This one can be tricky to quickly impose because it requires getting the same lineups out for both teams -- generally, when the skaters hear that jam-ending whistle, they've already gone back to their benches and the next lineup comes in.

As for version 2.0, do the GGRD Refs believe that they are a major improvement over version 1.0, or does WFTDA still have some room to manuever with the rules?
KoP has been deposed by a yellow clad bunch of crazy cabbies.... Even the rest of the Queens have turned on me. You'll soon find me in beautiful downtown Newark rooting for J C B& P. And I'm retiring from my job at the end of this month!
KING OF PAIN

Re: WFTDA Rules Version 2.0 Is Here and already I have Quest

Postby Daizy_Chainz » 04.27.07 3:20PM

Justice Feelgood Marshal wrote: This one can be tricky to quickly impose because it requires getting the same lineups out for both teams -- generally, when the skaters hear that jam-ending whistle, they've already gone back to their benches and the next lineup comes in.

I don’t agree.

We have been using this rule in practice and its actually pretty straight forward.

Trust me, if you are blocking (or sitting on the bench watching) you know when a jammer, yours or the other team’s leaves the track! If you are blocking in a jam with only one jammer you are aware that if she goes to the box too, you stay out and start a new jam.
And even if you managed to totally miss the fact that both jamers went to the box, when you get back to the bench your captain is going to yell “Two jammers in the box, get back out there.” And, uh that’s that. Its not complicated to get the same line up out again. No clipboards need to be checked and no meetings need to happen.
Daizy_Chainz
Bronx Gridlock

Postby margaretthrasher » 04.27.07 5:00PM

I agree with Daizy. I actually find it far LESS complicated than what we used to do (i.e. making player substitutions from the box), both for us and for the audience. I cannot count how many times I have been asked why skaters were "penalized" when in fact they were STANDING in the box, not sitting, waiting to go in.

And no more of those hokey "no jammer" jams!!!
Why you got yer leavin legs on?
margaretthrasher
Announcer

Postby Raggedy Animal » 04.27.07 5:05PM

You should totally come to more games this season and see it in action. You'll like it.
chomp, chomp
Raggedy Animal, #67
Brooklyn Bombshells
Raggedy Animal
Brooklyn Bombshells

Postby KING OF PAIN » 04.27.07 5:54PM

Raggity Aminal said:
You should totally come to more games this season and see it in action. You'll like it.

That is, WHEN there is a season.... So far I don't know when even the FIRST game is, much less the rest of them. Once I know, I'll try to go (unless Garden State has a game that I may wind up at that same weekend [go J C B & P!])
KoP has been deposed by a yellow clad bunch of crazy cabbies.... Even the rest of the Queens have turned on me. You'll soon find me in beautiful downtown Newark rooting for J C B& P. And I'm retiring from my job at the end of this month!
KING OF PAIN

Return to Rules Talk