Forum

Gotham Girls Roller Derby

re-introducing the Gotham rules for 2007

Not sure how the game works? Here's the place to ask.

re-introducing the Gotham rules for 2007

Postby hambone » 06.05.07 1:57PM

Hey fans!

get ready for the 2007 GGRD season by learning the 2007 bouting rules!

GGRD will be playing under WFTDA 2.1 rules, with a few minor local tweaks.

They should be outlined in the bout program, but if you just can't wait, check out the newly revised rules site at gotham girls roller derby dot com slash rules. It displays the WFTDA 2.1 rules as well as local clarifications.

You can ask questions about this year's rules here at this site, and the answers will be archived there (and answered here).

Meanwhile here's a few biggest differences from last year:

- final jam of a period extends past 0:00 on the penalty clock -- to its natural conclusion (like the final play in football)

- 'major' penalties are those with 'major impact on game play or safety.'

In this way, a hit which might be only 'a little bit' illegal could theoretically be upgraded to a major if it immediately clears a point-scoring path for a jammer.

- 'any pass' counts for a jammer to become lead jammer or to score points.

If a jammer goes through the pack and at some point passes all four opposing players legally -- but perhaps commits a couple of fouls on her way through, or passes a couple of skaters out of bounds -- she could still get four points (or become lead jammer on the first lap) if she rings up every opposing blocker legally at some point during her pass.

- no whistles for minors. referees have been working very hard on being demonstrative with hand signals.

- whenever a jam loses both jammers, the jam is immediately stopped and jammers are replaced by teammates who were blocking on the floor at the time. No more jams where blockers are just skating around in circles.

- a skater committing 16 minors will be excused from the bout

Is it friday yet?
hambone
Referee

Postby Bluebonnet Plague » 06.05.07 2:19PM

Are 4 minors added to tally up the 16 minors ejection rule if amajor penalty is committed? Or are majors tallied separate for bout ejection?

I.e. can I have 1 or 2 majors and 15 minors and still be elligible to play?
Bluebonnet Plague
Queens of Pain

Postby Hyper Lynx » 06.05.07 2:31PM

I don't like the Any Pass rule as it sort of discourages re-engaging. If I succeed in blocking her the first time around but goes to re-engage and miss, I'll just be giving her my point... :? I do like giving the jammers a second try but maybe it should be the final pass that counts? So blockers have a second chance to redeem herself as well? Course that'd make it harder to track.. does it?
404 Lynx Not Found ...
... likes to e a t . . .
Hyper Lynx
Queens of Pain

Postby hambone » 06.05.07 4:07PM

bluebonnet plague wrote:Are 4 minors added to tally up the 16 minors ejection rule if amajor penalty is committed? Or are majors tallied separate for bout ejection?

Minors and Majors are independent animals.

A skater could theoretically finish a bout with 6 majors and 15 minors and never have been ejected from anything.
hambone
Referee

Postby hambone » 06.05.07 4:10PM

Hyper Lynx wrote:I don't like the Any Pass rule as it sort of discourages re-engaging.

Give your opinion to the GGRD WFTDA reps ... 'any pass' was voted in by the WFTDA as a whole, and GGRD is going with the majority nationwide rule on that one, rather than train under a different set of rules. Nationally, 'any pass' versus 'first pass' scoring was debated quite hotly.
hambone
Referee

Postby Bluebonnet Plague » 06.05.07 4:16PM

hambone wrote:
bluebonnet plague wrote:Are 4 minors added to tally up the 16 minors ejection rule if amajor penalty is committed? Or are majors tallied separate for bout ejection?

Minors and Majors are independent animals.

A skater could theoretically finish a bout with 6 majors and 15 minors and never have been ejected from anything.

hmmm, could you spread that news around to the other ref crew too? thanks.
Bluebonnet Plague
Queens of Pain

Postby Flying Squirrel » 06.05.07 5:13PM

Hyper Lynx wrote:I don't like the Any Pass rule as it sort of discourages re-engaging. If I succeed in blocking her the first time around but goes to re-engage and miss, I'll just be giving her my point... :? I do like giving the jammers a second try but maybe it should be the final pass that counts? So blockers have a second chance to redeem herself as well? Course that'd make it harder to track.. does it?

I think final pass scoring would indeed be slightly harder to track because the jam ref would be both giving and taking away points from a jammer. However, I see it being just as feasible to track as first pass or any pass scoring.

While Jam reffing at practice, I have noticed the Any Pass rule playing an effect in lead jammer status and point scoring in at least 75% of jams. I think we can predict higher scoring bouts on average this season.
so sayeth the squirrel
Flying Squirrel
Referee

Postby hambone » 06.05.07 9:02PM

Yes, the bouts will be higher scoring, for better or for worse.

And there will be far fewer 2 minute jams. For better or for worse.
hambone
Referee

Postby margaretthrasher » 06.05.07 11:26PM

hambone wrote:And there will be far fewer 2 minute jams. For better or for worse.

For BETTER! For BETTER! Hallelujah.
Why you got yer leavin legs on?
margaretthrasher
Announcer

Postby hambone » 06.05.07 11:34PM

Flying Squirrel wrote:I think final pass scoring would indeed be slightly harder to track because the jam ref ...

"Final pass scoring" - wow I never even thought of such a thing. That would be really interesting. I think I need to sit down a minute.
hambone
Referee

Return to Rules Talk