Forum

Gotham Girls Roller Derby

Bedazzled Uniforms??

Not sure how the game works? Here's the place to ask.

Bedazzled Uniforms??

Postby Beyonslay » 01.27.06 1:01PM

Are skaters allowed to bead their uniforms to add a little flare? Are there any restrictions regarding the type of embellishments that a skater can use on her uniform? If there are restrictions, who does a skater have to clear her uniform with?

Thanks,
FM Jaclyn
Beyonslay

Re: Bedazzled Uniforms??

Postby Mr. Pink » 01.27.06 1:12PM

FM_Jaclyn wrote:Are skaters allowed to bead their uniforms to add a little flare? Are there any restrictions regarding the type of embellishments that a skater can use on her uniform? If there are restrictions, who does a skater have to clear her uniform with?

Thanks,
FM Jaclyn

It's not specifically prohibitied, but, it is slightly outlined in WFTDA rules 3.6 and 3.7. Jewelry may be worn during the bout, unless deemed a safety hazard by the referees. It is recommended that jewelry be taped or removed. Jewelry must not interfere with play or cause danger to other players. Jewelry is worn at the risk of the wearer.

If the Referees felt the flare in question was safety hazard to yourself or other skates, we'd ask you to remove it. And, I'm not sure who it needs to be cleared with prior to the game, but, once on the track for a bout, we'd be the ones at this point.
Mr. Pink
Referee

Wearing Jewelry During Bouts

Postby KING OF PAIN » 01.27.06 1:21PM

I believe that Queens of Pain's captain, Suzy Hotrod, might have something to say about this topic, especially after her fight with Jewels of DeNile (and Trixie the Mad Cow) during the August interleague bout with the MadRollin'Dolls. She is wearing less jewelry while bouting these days, if I'm correct. Oh, Suzy, where are you when these boards (and Fresh Meat skaters like Jaclyn) need your expertise?
Last edited by KING OF PAIN on 01.27.06 1:27PM, edited 1 time in total.
KoP has been deposed by a yellow clad bunch of crazy cabbies.... Even the rest of the Queens have turned on me. You'll soon find me in beautiful downtown Newark rooting for J C B& P. And I'm retiring from my job at the end of this month!
KING OF PAIN

Postby Joey XXX » 01.27.06 1:26PM

Bedazzling doesn't seem like it would be a problem (Ginger Snap has a bunch of studs on her uniform, and CC has buckles all down the front of hers).

Hazardous things are more like rings (I have some XXX bling rings that I can't wear during bouts, as much for my own safety as anyone else's), heavy bracelets (especially as these would interfere with wrist guards), metal belts (Suzy wears some before the bout, but always takes them off when bouting -- falling on that would HURT), or, you know, razor blades mounted on the sides of your skates.
Queens of Pain: We beat the competition.

Two Time Season Champions!
Joey XXX
Queens of Pain

Postby KING OF PAIN » 01.27.06 1:30PM

Joey XXX notes: Hazardous things are more like rings (I have some XXX bling rings that I can't wear during bouts, as much for my own safety as anyone else's), heavy bracelets (especially as these would interfere with wrist guards), metal belts (Suzy wears some before the bout, but always takes them off when bouting -- falling on that would HURT), or, you know, razor blades mounted on the sides of your skates.

Or a spike on the top of your helmet, such as on a German replica World War I helmet like this ("Mitt Gott Fur Koenig und Vateland" [With God for King and Fatherland])...
http://www.atlantacutlery.com/webstore/eCat/Military%20Items/Imperial%20German%20WWI%20Era%20%20Pickelhaube%20%20Helmet.aspx
KoP has been deposed by a yellow clad bunch of crazy cabbies.... Even the rest of the Queens have turned on me. You'll soon find me in beautiful downtown Newark rooting for J C B& P. And I'm retiring from my job at the end of this month!
KING OF PAIN

Postby hambone » 01.27.06 11:18PM

Not to get all WWF on y'all, but when I think of "dangerous flair," I always think of this guy:

Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake

... famous for raking his opponent's face with his "medically necessary" forearm flair. yeah, right.
hambone
Referee

Scythed Scates

Postby dnail » 01.28.06 12:15AM

I don't think Scythed scates are legal either. Like the blades on the axles of the chariot that Messala had in Ben Hur.
dnail
dnail

When I think of "dangerous flair," I always...

Postby KING OF PAIN » 01.28.06 12:55AM

While Hambone thought of Brutus "the Barber" Beefcake, he should remember that this is the most "dangerous flair": http://users.vnet.net/shogun/flair085.gif

Wooooo! From the 16 time former world's champion: Ric Flair-- "the dirtiest player in the game". 'Nuff said.
KING OF PAIN

Postby margaretthrasher » 06.07.06 1:17PM

To rehash an old topic ---

so I'm gonna totally bling out my number on my uniform to make it look like those diamond-crusted letters Master P and the No Limit crew put on their album covers. I'm attaching rhinestones (round topped, so they won't cut anyone). My question is, what if one falls off and is on the track? Isn't that a hazard?

love,
thrasher
Why you got yer leavin legs on?
margaretthrasher
Announcer

Postby killer kitten » 06.07.06 2:36PM

i don't know anything about the rules, i think regarding flair you have to make sure it won't come off. ever. even after a ten girl pile up. i've been to open skates and skated(fallen) over crap, i can't imagine how hard it would be jamming..
i'll scratch yer eyes out!
killer kitten

Postby gingersnap » 06.07.06 3:59PM

i had studs on my old mayhem uniform, and one word of caution: you gotta put a backing or line-er of some sort so that those little barbs that hold them on don't get caught on your fishnets, underwear or - worse - your skin. i had problems with that all season long. plus - it made that dress a total bitch to iron. but perhaps with bronx unis, we don't have to worry about ironing.

oh, and i REALLY wanted to wear spurs on my skates, but figured that was "dangerous flare" for sure. if anyone ever sees spurs made out of rubber or bendy plastic, i'll be sure to make it up to you in some gratuitous way.
live every week like it's shark week.
gingersnap
Bronx Gridlock

Postby Kimmy Danger » 11.30.06 4:41PM

gingersnap wrote: oh, and i REALLY wanted to wear spurs on my skates, but figured that was "dangerous flare" for sure. if anyone ever sees spurs made out of rubber or bendy plastic, i'll be sure to make it up to you in some gratuitous way.

perhaps a ding-a-ling ring would work...I've seen some that come in bendy plastic.
~Kimmy Danger (my new name)
Jeerleader, Queens of Pain

"Pale and Loud/Busty and Proud."
Kimmy Danger

Re: When I think of "dangerous flair," I always...

Postby theoriginaldonald » 12.01.06 10:35AM

KING OF PAIN wrote:While Hambone thought of Brutus "the Barber" Beefcake, he should remember that this is the most "dangerous flair": http://users.vnet.net/shogun/flair085.gif

Wooooo! From the 16 time former world's champion: Ric Flair-- "the dirtiest player in the game". 'Nuff said.

and what is The Man WOOOOOOOOOOOOO! doing now? WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!.

being the patsy for His Hammy Horribleness. WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

no wonder Derby will kick major ASS! in 2007

The Original Donald
to be The Man WOOOOOOOOOOOOO! you gotta castrate The Man WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
theoriginaldonald

Postby David » 12.01.06 11:52PM

gingersnap wrote:if anyone ever sees spurs made out of rubber or bendy plastic, i'll be sure to make it up to you in some gratuitous way.

Best I can find:

Actual serious plastic spurs

[url=http://www.anytimecostumes.com/costumes/005724816.html]Party
favor plastic spurs[/url]

Neither one looks particularly bout-safe, though.
David

Postby the persuader » 12.02.06 4:32AM

>>>gingersnap wrote:
if anyone ever sees spurs made out of rubber or bendy plastic, i'll be sure to make it up to you in some gratuitous way.

yo snaps
I'd love to make some for next season. 2 piece casting job with some slightly rigid silicone. i like challenges. whaddya say?
Now Also Angelo Death - 138 - NYSE
the persuader

Location: in the box in the basement in the hideout of the QUEENS OF PAIN

Return to Rules Talk