Forum

Gotham Girls Roller Derby

Major differences between WFTDA v1.0 and GGRD '06 rules

Not sure how the game works? Here's the place to ask.

Major differences between WFTDA v1.0 and GGRD '06 rules

Postby hambone » 06.07.06 3:19PM

WFTDA (Women's Flat Track Derby Association) bouting rules v1.0 are posted for public consumption at

http://www.wftda.com/rules.html

These rules represent a first national attempt at standardization and are generally acknowledged to be ambiguous and incomplete. GGRD has been playing a big part of getting WFTDA rules fixed up for v2.0, which should be out at some point in the summer 2006.

For 2006, GGRD has chosen to amend WFTDA v1.0 rules for its own local play, in the following ways:

- two thirty minute periods, not three twenty minute periods

- thirty seconds between jams, not twenty

- if skaters are not in place ready for the next jam, the jam does not start without them - instead, the team is assessed a Delay of Game penalty

- on her first lap through the pack, if a jammer is forced to pass a blocker out of bounds due to having been fouled, she remains eligible to be lead jammer

- once a lead jammer is declared, she stays lead jammer for the rest of the jam. (This isn't so much a deviation from WFTDA rules as it is a clarification on a point missing from WFTDA rules)

- if the star helmet cover is dropped, skating clockwise to go pick it up is an illegal procedure penalty (again, this is more a clarification than deviation)

- skaters may not assist their jammers if they are out of bounds (again, this is more a clarification than deviation)

- skaters more than 20 feet from the pack (i.e. the majority of skaters) must speed up or slow down to re-join the pack or risk being penalized. This is a major deviation from WFTDA rules, which do not currently penalize skating outside the pack (but do penalize blocking/assisting outside the pack). Many other leagues have also added this deviation and expect this to be standard in WFTDA v2.0.

- you can't initiate a block with your forearms. you may protect yourself with your forearms. WFTDA rules forbid touching anyone with forearms ever; this draconian language is likely to be cleaned up in WFTDA v2.0 and for now many other leagues are doing as GGRD does.

- Fallen skaters who are lapped by the pack will receive a minor penalty for illegal procedure but then will be eligible to legally block and assist when in the pack again. WFTDA 1.0 rules don't make any mention of this situation.

- WFTDA rules say that a maxiumum of two blockers may be in the penalty box for a team at any given time. GGRD (and many other leagues) have stricken this prohibition, largely due to its impossible enforceability when you try to enforce penalties mid-jam.

- WFTDA rules dictate that a player picking up her fourth minor needs to be penalized mid-jam. GGRD allows this penalization to be delayed to the beginning of the next jam, at referee discretion, to reduce confusion on the part of players, refs, and fans.

- GGRD clarifies that a jammer gets one shot to score a point against a blocker in each lap --- i.e. if she attempts to pass her but winds up doing it out of bounds, she can never recover that point even if she subsequently passes her legally 10 more times in that lap. WFTDA rules v1.0 are ambiguous on this point.

- If a jammer fouls a blocker while trying to pass her, she can't pick up that point. WFTDA rules v1.0 are ambiguous on that point.

- Penalty time being served does not run between jams. WFTDA rules v1.0 are ambiguous on this point.
hambone
Referee

Postby plexus12 » 06.08.06 9:55AM

Thanks for the info. I have been watching the TXRD and their banked track rules are different. I was at the bout last Friday and I was confused sometimes but I got the gist of what was happening. So again thanks for posting this to clear up everything for me.
Bombshells 07'
plexus12

Postby Hewlett Smackard » 11.05.06 7:21PM

One thing I never understood was exactly why GGRD goes with 30-minute halves instead of three 20-minute periods (or four 15-minute quarters, for that matter).

Also, what's the status of the 2.0 rules? I'd like to see them when they come out, because I'm that sort of nerd...
Hewlett Smackard

Postby gingersnap » 11.05.06 8:22PM

Andrew wrote:One thing I never understood was exactly why GGRD goes with 30-minute halves instead of three 20-minute periods (or four 15-minute quarters, for that matter).

good question! basicly, our history has told us that 2 "halftimes" just don't hold the short attention span of ny'ers - especially when there's no beer. just because we are on skates and hitting each other doesn't mean we are hockey, and a ny audience doesn't get that sport anyway. i'm guessing 4 quarters would face the same issue.
live every week like it's shark week.
gingersnap
Bronx Gridlock

Postby hambone » 11.05.06 11:41PM

Andrew wrote:Also, what's the status of the 2.0 rules? I'd like to see them when they come out, because I'm that sort of nerd...

You and me both, Andrew :-)

Actually they're in revision iteration number 3923-Double-Secret-X ... and will definitely be in effect for GGRD's 2007 season. GGRD has some input into this process, but as you can imagine getting all the leagues together is a bit of a trick.
hambone
Referee

Postby Anarchist » 12.21.06 12:17AM

gingersnap wrote:
good question! basicly, our history has told us that 2 "halftimes" just don't hold the short attention span of ny'ers - especially when there's no beer. just because we are on skates and hitting each other doesn't mean we are hockey, and a ny audience doesn't get that sport anyway. i'm guessing 4 quarters would face the same issue.

How about having all teams bout in the same evening-four alternating 20 minute periods and one halftime after the first two periods? You have to figure that with all the teams bouting w/ the one half, you could sustain even a ny'ers attention cause somebody's favorite team will be bouting each period.

Then again, here in Rat City, they serve beer.
Anarchist

Postby K.D. Caustic » 12.22.06 3:11PM

Anarchist wrote:How about having all teams bout in the same evening-four alternating 20 minute periods and one halftime after the first two periods?

Hey, youngsters, that's how it was done Back In The Day when I watched roller derby on TV. BUT the alternating was done between the women's and the MEN'S teams. I may be mistaken but I think each jam was a change of gender. I expect the "intermissions" were timed to the commercial breaks.

Just bringin' a little past history to the debate. :P
Doiby Fanatic and Announcer
K.D. Caustic

Return to Rules Talk